items
0
total
$0.00
Account
  Username
  
  Password
  
  Remember
Log in
Log in
Search
Benjapakee
Phra Somdej
Phra Nangphya
Phra Rod
Phra Soomgor
Phra Phongsuparn
Thailand Amulets
Luangpor Teang
Phra Gring
Phra Pidda
Luangpu Hong
Luangpor Koon
Kruba Krissana
Luangpor Parn
Luangpor Ngern
Luangpu Tuad
Luangpor Sod
Luangpor Lee
Luangpor Pae
Luangpu Rith
Luangpu Key
Luangpor Pern
Luangpu Tim
Luangpor Poon
Luangpu Supar
Luangpu Sao
Luangpor Perm
Luangpor Taweesak
Luangpor Pean
Luangpor Joy
Luangpor Tae
Luangpor Yam
Luangpu Paw
Jatukarm Ramathep
Wat Yaichaimongkon
Wat Maibarndon
Wat Nohngoom
Wat Prapathomjaydee
Wat Narphrameru
Wat Phananchoeng
Wat PhraMongkon
Wat Tumfad
Takrut
Variety Amulets
Statues
Buddha Statues
Gods Statues
Monks Statues
Accessories
Gold Cases
Silver cases
Cases
Waterproof Cases
Chain & Necklace
Clip & Ring
CD/DVD
 
History > Wat Phananchoeng

Legend of Somdej Phra Puttajarn To Promransri, Thailand

Wat Phanan Choeng

Great amulets of Wat Phananchoeng

Wat Phananchoeng is in the southern part of the city near the river. It was built in 1324 A.D., 26 year before king U-thong founded Ayutthaya, although it is not known by whom this temple was built. Phra Chao Phananchoeng, a large sitting Buddha constructed of brick and mortar, has been well known of a long time.

King Naresuen the Great repaired it once, and the other Kings of Ayudhya must keep it in good repair too, though no mention is made of that in the chronicle, from which it is learnt only that when Ayudhya was taken by the Burmese tears flowed from the eyes of this image. Later on the first king of the Chakri Dynasty and some of his successors repaired the image and towards the end of 1854 A.D.,

King Mongkut completely renovated the image and renamed it Phra Bhudh-trai-ratana nayok. On the 21st December 1901, during the reignof King Chulalongkorn, the outer garment of Phra Chao Phanan-cheng caught fire and the image was damaged in many places. King Chulalongkorn commanded the image to be repaired, and the work was finished in 1902 A.D.


On the 15th March 1928 the cheeks and the lower jaws of the image broke into pieces. The Royal Institute had it repaired in 1929. At that time Phra Dhamatri-lok the abbot of this monastery, on collecting the bits of gold leaves left by the devotees inside the Vihara gathered 165 grammes of that metal, 690 grammes of gold were contributed by others. With these 855 grammes of gold the head of the monastery made an "Una-lom" (ornament for the forehead substituted it for the older one which was of copper plated with gold).


Phra Chao Phananchoeng is held in respect by the Thai people who, when they visit ayutthaya, offer worship to this image and obtain prediction of their luck from its Vihara. Tourists who do not visit this temple miss the opportunity of seeing one of the very large, old and beautiful images.

No Photographs of this image too are to be found in any book or even in the National Museum, where there is a collection of photographs of all other important images of the Buddha, because there is not enough room within the Vihara to set the camera at the proper distance to get a complete picture of this large image.


Phra Chao Phananchoeng is an image in the posture of subduing Mara. It measures 14 meters and 25 centimeters from knee to knee and 19 meters high (including the ornament above the head).

Phra Yai (The Giant Buddha Images). The centerpiece of this temple was covered with gold leaf. It is believed to have been modeled on the Uthong style. It has been called "Luangpor Toh" by the local people. The Chinese merchants respected this Buddha as the God who protected them when they were on the sea for their trade. This image is the oldest and largest Buddha in Thailand. Legend says that when Ayutthaya was about to decline, the Buddha cried. Around 1854, in the reign of King Rama 4th, the Buddha image was rebuilt and renamed "Phra Phutta Trai Rattanayok"


© copyright 2003-2017 Thailand Amulets, All rights reserved. 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact us: support@thailandamulets.com